The South Side Soup Contest is an annual fundraising event brought to you by the Brashear Association and the South Side Chamber of Commerce. Launched in 2005, The Contest began as a way to showcase all that our community has to offer, generate more foot traffic in local businesses, and serve up delicious soup. Today, it has become a celebrated and eagerly-anticipated event. The reason is as simple and satisfying as a cup of soup: we provide a unique opportunity for attendees to sample an array of delicious soups and exploring neighborhood businesses, while giving back to South Pittsburgh communities in need.
Since our humble beginnings, The South Side Soup Contest has generated the attention and support of Pittsburghers and visitors alike. Over the last 14 years, we’ve hit major milestones and continue to grow! Take a look at what we’ve accomplished with our friends and neighbors in the South Side, and what it means to eat soup and make history!
milestones to make you smile!
- 2005: The South Side Soup Contest launches to a crowd of hungry Pittsburghers and visitors, eager to eat great soup and give back to those in need.
- 2006 – 2009: During the first few years of The Contest, we got off the ground with a steady stride. Participation from neighborhood restaurants and businesses nearly doubled, as did the number of canned goods we collected and distributed to our neighbors who need them the most.
- 2010: The sixth annual Contest was a banner year. A total of 1,000 tickets sold out. We launched online ticket sales, making it easier than ever for attendees to get their soup on. And we instituted policies and procedures to become a green event.
- 2012: Our eighth year ushered in more changes for The Contest. We began text voting and launched the “Best Host Award,” to recognize the efforts of our partners.
- 2013 and beyond: The milestones and fun facts continue!
- Selling Out in Record Time: 30 seconds
- Highest number of food donations collected: 2,200
- Most snowfall: 2014
- Sunniest, warmest weather: 2016
Now in our 14th year, we remain committed to an event that merges fun, great food, eco-consciousness, and giving back to Pittsburgh communities in need. Come join us!